Ten Important and Comment-able Points in the Code:
- Brand names of products of other companies must not be used in comparison unless the prior consent of the companies concerned has been obtained.
- All promotional material issued by a product authorization holder or with his authority, must be consistent with the requirements of this Code.
- Where a pharmaceutical company pays for or otherwise secures or arranges the publication of promotional material in journals, such promotional material must not resemble editorial matter.
- The names or photographs of healthcare professionals must not be used in promotional material.
- Extremes of format, size or cost of promotional material must be avoided.
- Audio-visual material must be accompanied by all appropriate printed material so that all relevant requirements of the Code are complied with.
- Samples should be provided directly to prescribing authority, shall be limited to prescribed dosages for three patients and in response to a signed and dated request from the recipient. Each sample pack shall not be larger than the smallest pack presented in the market.
- The (medical/educational) events (for doctors) have to be organized in India only and all expenses…, must be incurred only for the events held in India.
- Companies must not organise meetings to coincide with sporting, entertainment or other leisure events or activities.
- Outline of a detailed Complaint Lodging and Redressal mechanism (Committee for Code of Pharma Marketing) to ensure following of the marketing code.