Monthly Archives: May 2011
Social Media updates, checking emails and sharing/ viewing photographs are the top activities of Indians on the Web.
- The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi has developed hypoxia responsive promoters of Mycobacterium tuberculosis.The study provides a whole cell assay to monitor M. tuberculosis promoter activity and would find use in the screening of compounds that inhibit these promoters.
- Delhi University, South Campus, New Delhi has developed anti-tubercular drug targets relating to identification of the role of protein tyrosine phosphates (MptpA and MptpB) in the pathogenesis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Entomology Research Institute, Chennai, has developed a process for isolation of fraction from Adhatoda vasica leaves for anti-mycobacterial activity with no side effects. The novel compounds vasicine acetate and 2-acetylbenzylamine showed good anti-tubercular properties against M tuberculosis and their effect is comparable with standard drugs for curing TB, the note said.
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), New Delhi, has developed a copolymer compound — Styrene Maleic Anhydride (SMA) –used as male contraceptive. Phase I and phase II clinical trials have completed and restricted phase III clinical trial is underway. The institute also developed a process preparing the same injectable copolymer SMA.
- University of Kolkata has developed an anti-neoplastic compound and process for its preparation. The invention provides a novel anti-neoplastic compound and obtained from the skin extract of the Indian snake head fish, Channa striatus, locally known as shol fish. It also provides a process for the isolation of a novel anti-neoplastic agent useful for therapeutic application in neoplasia and as a biomedical research probe/tool.
Electronic Medical Records hold a lot of promise. When used well, EMRs decrease drug errors, streamline work flow, assist in clinical decisions and allow efficient accounting. At the same time, EMRs chosen without proper thought and assessment can cause long term pains. The really restrictive EMRs won’t even let you shift medical data elsewhere and healthcare providers maybe stuck with outdated EMRs soon after buying them.
EMR failures are most often a cause of one or more of the following four reasons
- Technical EMR implementation failures, because of issues with hardware/ software combination or wireless connectivity issues;
- Financial failures, where the expected EMR ROI wasn’t realized, or the costs were significantly more than expected;
- Software incompatibility issues, where the EMR system didn’t interface with an existing medical practice management system; and
- People-related issues, where some physicians or staff members avoid training or simply refuse to use the EMR system.
Making an EMR work for a healthcare provider needs work before, during and after installation of an EMR system. When choosing an EMR system, Ignore the bells and whistles and Look at the nuts and bolts.
Social Media Policy: How to Get Started? #HCSM Comments Added
1. The First Meeting: Get everybody together in the same room including the evangelists and the skeptics. Let them exchange caution for enthusiasm and vice versa, and understand how using social media can help add business value to their work.: Get Doctors, Administrators and Patients together in the same room to pitch for #HCSM
2. Executive Champions: Companies must have demonstrable top-down commitment. To carry out this communication and maintain a presence, you need resources and complete commitment, so get the chiefs involved from Day 1.: Ensure Top Down Involvement from all the above three stakeholders
3. Set Up Your Listening Apparatus: Before communicating to people, you must do the groundwork to find out what people are saying about you and about your products. Set up simple tools (Google alerts, twitter search, Google blog search, etc.) and then launch knowing the depth of dialogue you’re dealing with.: Research the websphere for current presence and requirements early on.
4. Set Employee Parameters: Write a practical social media policy: What can they talk about, and on which channels; The Do’s and Don’ts must be established.: Don’t preach, like the AMA. Set down practical follow-able guidelines
5. Social Media is Not a Strategy in Itself: People must understand that presence on social media isn’t a strategy of its own but a support system to bolster existing strategies across business units. Only then is use of social media truly effective.: Social Media should be an integral part of an overall communications strategy.
The New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) recently completed a survey on its Facebook page, asking fans to tell the Journal about themselves.
Who are their fans?
Here’s what the Journal learned from the 800 fans completing the survey:
- Half are physicians and 35 percent are medical students.
- Half are younger than 30.
- A little more than one-third are in primary care and 80 percent are in patient care.
- More than 85 percent visit Facebook more than once a day and 30 percent visit several times a day.
- Most fans use a computer to get access to Facebook, but almost 50 percent sometimes check Facebook with a smartphone and 15 percent sometimes use an iPad.
What do they think?
NEJM Facebook fans said they like:
- Posts about new research
- Images in clinical medicine
- Essays in medicine
And, they want to see more of everything.